It is estimated that plastic constitutes 60-80% of all marine litter and is increasing at an alarming rate. This doesn’t only affect marine life, which can mistake plastic as food and die of starvation or entanglement, but it also affects us because plastic ingested by marine life releases toxins that can be passed on through the food chain and end up in our plates.
On April 22nd 2018, World Earth Day, we organized a beach clean-up and a screening of short films with an environmental theme. During the day we met at the main beach in Amantea and we collected 4 big bags of trash in only 2 hours. The main things we picked up were polystyrene pieces, cigarette butts and plastic bottles. All the trash we collected would have surely ended up in the sea, directly contributing to marine pollution and numerous deaths of marine animals.
In the evening we set up a huge screen in the main street in Amantea showing a series of short films for all ages, putting the spotlight on the relationship between man and nature. The shorts underlined the huge shift in man’s behavior towards nature, from living a symbiotic and hamonic life to the destruction planet.
More actions that will take place during La Guarimba 2018:
- Install recycling bins in the communal park where the festival takes place.
- Avoid single use plastic by:
- Selling reusable water bottles and installing refilling stations.
- Using reusable beer cups with a small deposit, which can be either returned, or refilled with beer at a lower price.
- Provide staff and guests with package free soap made with natural and local ingredients by Saponi Fiorella.
- Print flyers and programs on 100% recycled paper.
- Offset carbon footprint.
The beach clean-up and the screening are actions aimed at raising awareness about sustainability and at creating a network of people with a similar objective. But the most important action of all is the one of changing our habits.
Here are a few tips on how to reduce plastic consumption:
- switch your plastic bottle to a reusable one
- always remember to bring your canvas bag to the supermarket
- try to buy bulk food and fill jars or produce bags. If you have the option choose glass, tin, or cardboard over plastic, these materials have a better recycling life.
If you don’t use Paypal, you can transfer your donation here:
LA GUARIMBA INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL